Social Icons

Pages

Sunday 3 March 2013

Nineteenth century joiners tools.

Nineteenth century joiners tools. Video Clips. Duration : 1.38 Mins.


These are my Grandfathers woodworking hand tools. He was born in 1870 so I assume he started work age twelve or so. That would be 1882. His father Isaac Kell was born 1840 and the two W.Dibb of York tongue and groove matching planes are stamped I.Kell. In the 1920's he made a corner cabinet and two picture frames from Paul N. Haslucks book 'Wood Carving'. I have both the furniture the Addis carving tools and the book. He was an Estate Joiner up in north Northumberland (New Bewick I think) when he met my Grandmother, early in the first war. They married in 1917 and I have an Ansonia clock, two oil paintings by his brother Eddie (Gateshead) and a year clock - all wedding presents. Sometime 1920/30 he had the 'General Havelock' public house at Haydon Bridge, either before or after he had his own joiner, undertaker, wheelwright business at Powburn, I still have some blank bill heads used on the revers as jottings of Robbie Burns poetry - my Dad was always called Robbie after the great poet. His first big job was for Alnwick Brewery, and also according to my Grandmother he persisted for six or seven years though when down to their last twenty pounds (.... maybe less?) she pushed him to close at Powburn and get a paid employment. So, he got Foreman joiner at a local builders. Hence the two new starters coming back up to woodworking evening class to ask or tell me that my Grandad was Foreman joiner and how he would have 'chased them with an axe' if they had been seen paring onto ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Sample text

Sample Text

Sample Text